Treatment Plans Developed Specific to Individual Needs
In 2007, MAC formed Pain Medicine Consultants (PMC) to provide treatment services for all types of acute and chronic pain-related conditions. Pain medicine is a natural extension of MAC’s anesthesia practice and the integration of pain medicine and anesthesia provides greater efficiency and coordination in patient care. PMC’s board-certified pain specialists use a sophisticated combination of medications, interventional procedures and wellness-based integrative techniques.
PMC’s four outpatient medical offices provide a full spectrum of treatment services ranging from medical management of pain through minimally invasive interventional procedures. The physicians develop treatment plans specific to the patients’ individual needs that include interventional techniques such a trigger point and facet injections, pain pumps, nerve stimulators, radiofrequency ablation and catheters as well as medication management. PMC also provides patients with durable medical equipment and dispenses a limited number of prescription medications through secure on-site pharmacies located at two of the clinical locations.
PMC is highly regarded by patients, providers and payors in Northern California and serves several of the region’s professional sports teams. PMC’s top priority is safety, and it has very tight controls in place to prevent medication abuse and diversion. These controls include:
▪ Frequent drug screening to ensure patients are taking medications as prescribed
▪ A contract that patients sign to not abuse prescribed medications
▪ Strict treatment protocols that limit prescriptions or opiates by its physicians
▪ Monitor and identify potential abusers through the California Prescription Drug Monitoring Program
▪ The ability to closely monitor drug dispensing and utilization through on-site dispensing